Saturday 2 March 2019

Never give up!

Late last year I was involved in delivering a government funded program aimed at helping mature aged people gain employment and a big part of it was developing digital literacy skills.
I am over fifty and whilst most of the participants were older than me, quite a few were were younger.  Most of the people I met had a smart phone but a few did not. Some could use a computer to apply for jobs but most of the participants could not and were struggling with the social and financial affects of unemployment.
The arrival of the internet has radically changed how people apply for jobs and a lot of people have fallen through the gaps.

read more....
I have reasonable digital literary skills but am by no means an expert and I do not touch type. But I am lucky. Back in the 80's and 90's I worked for the Commonwealth Employment Service (CES) and it was there that I developed confidence, interviewing skills and a good insight into how to write letters and resumes to get a job, I think the government made a terrible mistake getting rid of the CES in 1998 but that's another story.

I have never had much trouble getting a job and I  am usually lucky enough to at least jag an interview.
I am not career driven anymore. I enjoy working but I have no interest in climbing to the top or earning a huge salary. My priorities have changed. As long as I enjoy going to work and being productive and can have a laugh with my colleagues, I'm happy. I don't need stress or a six figure salary.

I have worked in quite a few different jobs in the last twenty years and have never had much trouble finding work and I'll give most things a go. Every job I've had has taught me something new which I've often  used in the next job. Years ago people stayed in the same jobs for years. whereas now it is nothing for people to change jobs every couple of years. In fact new types of jobs are being created all the time and the 'gig' economy is thriving. I've done a bit of that too.

If you're reading this post you obviously have some level of digital literacy but if you know people who are struggling please try and help them out. Some people say they have tried but it's too hard or there is nobody to show them. Others aren't interested in technology.
But digital literacy is as important as traditional reading and writing. You can't apply for a Centrelink Age pension (or any payment) without going online anymore. Sure a staff member might help you a bit but you need to be able to know how to access emails and update your information online.  There are very few jobs where you don 't have to apply online.  Most employers require resumes and cover letters and that can be a challenge when you don't know how. Some people feel embarrassed to ask for help with job applications or there is nobody they can ask.
Utility companies, banks and insurers all expect customers to be online and will often charge extra if you're not.
Not everyone can afford a computer or a smart phone but libraries and some neighbourhood centres often  offer these services and many council libraries offer short courses to help people understand digital technology and social media.
I tried to start a blog years ago but I found it challenging and time consuming and at the time it wasn't that important to me - so I gave up.  But this time I decided I was going to learn and sought help.
I have learnt a lot about all sorts of things from the internet, particularly from reading blogs. I guess this is my way of giving back - if you or anyone you know is struggling with preparing a resume or cover letter please feel free to get in touch.  I have seen resumes and cover letters that people have paid to have done - complete with spelling mistakes! I don't want to make money from this - I have a full time job but I like to help people and it costs me nothing but a bit of time.
My message to anyone struggling with digital literacy - don't give up! Like most skills, once you have mastered the basics it does get easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment